SR Staff Report
Erik Arvidsson Kitzbühel Streif: Photo credit GEPA
Who is racing, when, and how to watch Saturday’s Kitzbühel downhill.
Today, the Streif delivered another classic. Vincent Kriechmayr delivered Austria a victory in the Super Bowl of downhill racing. Odermatt and Kilde barely avoided crashing in the two scariest parts of the course. And Italian Florian Schieder finished second, starting 43rd.
The North Americans had a great day. Jared Goldberg finished four-hundredths of a second off the podium in fourth. The soon-to-be-retired Travis Ganong was eleven hundredths slower than Goldberg and tied for 7th. Canadian Broderick Thompson experienced his first downhill top ten, finishing 9th. Almost as amazing, USA’s Erik Arvidsson started 52nd and crossed into 21st. In total, 23% of the top 30 finishers were North Americans. Seven, four Stifel US Alpine Team members and three members of Alpine Canada Alpin, finished in the top 30.
If that doesn’t get you excited about tomorrow’s hair-raising Hahnenkamm downhill, nothing will.
North Americans entered in the Saturday Kitzbühel Streif downhill
- Bib 4, Travis Ganong, USST, Team Palisades Tahoe, Atomic
- Bib 6, Ryan Cochran-Siegle, USST, Mt Mansfield Ski Club, Cochran’s Ski Club, HEAD, SWIX, ASP
- Bib 11, James Crawford, ACA, Whistler Mountain Ski Club, HEAD
- Bib 21, Bryce Bennett, USST, Team Palisades Tahoe, Fischer, ASP
- Bib 5, Jared Goldberg, USST, Snowbird Sports Educational Foundation, Rossignol, LOOK
- Bib 27, Cameron Alexander, ACA, Whistler Mountain Ski Club, Rossignol, LOOK
- Bib 33, Sam Morse, Sugarloaf Ski Club, Carrabassett Valley Academy, Fischer, Swix, ASP, TOKO
- Bib 35, Brodie Seger, ACA, Whistler Mountain Ski Club, Atomic
- Bib 39, Jeffrey Read, ACA, Banff Alpine Racers, Atomic, UVEX
- Bib 40, Broderick Thompson, ACA, Whistler Mountain Ski Club, HEAD, Oakley
- Bib 50, Kyle Negomir, USST, Ski and Snowboard Club Vail, Atomic
- Bib 51, Erik Arvidsson, USST, Team Palisades Tahoe, Middlebury College, HEAD
- Bib 56, Kyle Alexander, ACA, Whistler Mountain Ski Club, Rossignol, Look
The race will begin at 5:30 am Eastern Time and 2:30 am on the West Coast.
In the USA, Kitzbühel’s downhill can be viewed live and replayed on Peacock TV. Kitzbühel is in Austria and its content rights are controlled by IMG, which has sold alpine skiing for US viewers to Peacock TV. Peacock TV requires a subscription.
In Canada, CBC sports offers World Cup racing content
January 21st start list and daily program for the Kitzühel Streif downhill
The daily program for the January 21st Kitzbühel Streif downhill